Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Really cool "Wonderland" kit

Hey there everyone, I saw this Alice in Wonderland adventure expedition kit the other day and I just had to share. It is just way too cool, and it is so detailed. It was made by livejournal user absinthetic for his girlfriend who, obviously, loves Alice in Wonderland. The story is that this was made by an explorer who went to Wonderland and cataloged the various specimens and flora and fauna he found there. Here's an overview of the case:

First off, how cool is that suitcase? It's so old looking! And I love the map on the back--I'm a sucker for maps though, especially fake ones. Here's some inside shots:
Now, I'm not the biggest Alice in Wonderland fan (in fact, my only knowledge of it comes from the Disney movie, which I haven't seen in a long time) but I can recognize most of these. I love the little bottles with the "eat me" and "drink me" labels on it, and I like all of the various poems/scientific notes that are scattered around. Some of the various formaldehyded creatures are pretty creepy, but still really cool. There's a little mome rath in a bottle, too. But this is my favorite thing:
The little card guard that is all pinned and labeled, just like a butterfly or something. It's brilliant. You can see the rest of the pictures here, although I wish they were a bit brighter.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you all, and the subject being somewhat geeky I thought it would fit in here. I would totally love to make a version of this for myself, but either Star Wars or Lord of the Rings inspired (of course). In the Star Wars case you could have a little galaxy map, some Kessel spice, maybe some various droid parts, little notes written in alien languages, maybe a crystal from a lightsaber, stuff like that. You can tell I've been thinking about this for a while. Of course it would never look as polished as this, I think this case is just amazing.

In other news, I made a crochet lightsaber today, but I'm not thrilled with it. I might post it here later and see what you guys think, and post a pattern if you guys like it. I think it kind of looks like a messed up beer can, so I'm kind of ashamed to even take pictures of it, but someone may think it's cool, I guess. Anyway, that's all for now, stay tuned! We have a special dude made for the opening of the Clone Wars movie, I can't wait to show everyone!

1 comment:

amber said...

I could totally see a Firefly box like this. Postcards from the different planets, maybe passports with stamps from different places, a label from a bottle of Mudder's Milk or a Blue Sun can, fake ID cards to get past Alliance Security checks, some handwritten letters, some chopsticks with Chinese letters engraved on them, a Jayne Hat...

Not sure who I'd give it to, but it would make a great present for a Firefly fan if you had the time/skill to put it together.

Years back one of my friend's actually made me a Slayer's weapons chest. It was a small box, about 2 by 4 inches, with a rounded lid. She'd painted it and inside were a set of small wooden stakes, a wooden cross, and a very tiny bottle filled with water and labeled "Holy Water". I still have it, and have always thought it was a great little Buffy-centric gift.