Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Free Lightsaber Pattern!

So, one day while I was supposed to be working, I thought to myself, "you know, there just aren't enough crocheted weapons out there". And so I bring to you, my crochet lightsaber!


You can see my lightsaber here, being modeled by my lovely ewok. Artoo looks like he is ready to come whoop some butt, though. He does look rather menacing.


I didn't really like the lightsaber when I first finished it, because the edges weren't hard enough and I thought it sort of looked like an out of control beer bottle cozy. But I really like it now, I can appreciate for it's toy-like appearance and it's kitschiness.

Depending on your gauge, this guy should turn out pretty close to life size. They're not going to win any awards for authenticity, but they are pretty fun to hold and throw around. They would make a great baby toy, if they were made out of acrylic yarn.

Just to warn you, this is a really informal pattern. I don't have row numbers or anything, so just use your best judgment.

(Half-Assed) Lightsaber Pattern

Start with gray yarn, chain 2
6 st in 2nd chain from hook
(sc in next st, 2 sc in next st) until you have anywhere from 35-36 sts
11 rows even

Change to black yarn
6 rows even

Change to gray yarn
11 rows even

Change to black yarn
(sc in next 3 sts, sc2tog) for one row
Dc in the front st only for 6 rows
Next row even
(sc in next 3 sts, sc2tog) until you only have about 13-15 sts left

Change to gold yarn
5 rows even
(sc in next st, 2 sc in next st) for two rows
3 rows even
(sc in next st, sc2tog) for one row

Change to gray yarn
(sc in next st, 2 sc in next st) for two rows
3 rows even
(I didn't close my lightsaber up, I just stuffed it and left the end open. Not the best solution, I know, but I don't know how I want to close it up, so sorry! If I figure something out, I'll edit this)

Small Buttons (make 4)
10 sc, 1 ch, turn
9dc, 1 ch, turn
9 dc, 1 ch, turn
9 sc
leave long tail, attach to the lightsaber

Large Button
10 sc, 1 ch, turn
9dc, 1 ch, turn
9 dc, 1 ch, turn
9 sc
sc around the edge of the rectangle twice, with a (2sc in 1 st) in each of the four corners
leave long tail, attach to the lightsaber


Ah! Wicket! Don't kill Artoo! Jeez, these things are dangerous.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it! If a lot of people really like it, I will write up another pattern for Vader's lightsaber. Stay tuned!

7 comments:

Andrea said...

cute!!! Looks like I have to make one... :]

Mandi said...

That's pretty awesome! Have you seen glow in the dark yarn? I think this stuff would have great potential for the "blade" part.

Anonymous said...

Fun pattern! I was wondering how large does it end up when completed?

Geek Central Station said...

@Mandi: That stuff is awesome! It would work really well as a blade, I wonder how bright it really gets...

@sistahraven: The lightsaber ends up being almost 12 inches long. I tried to make it life size, I used a replica as a model. I guess it depends on your gauge, though.

Thanks guys!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a baseball bat.

Geek Central Station said...

Maybe a really messed up baseball bat...thanks for the critique though, I guess.

Unknown said...

Aww, rat-finks to those meanies who don't like it. I love this pattern and featured it today on my blog. Great work and wonderful blog!