Tuesday, May 17, 2011

STOP: Hammer Time

So Thor came out a couple of weeks ago.  I saw it, it was okay, I guess.  I believe that Natalie Portman is an astrophysicist as much as I believe Denise Richards is a nuclear physicist in that James Bond movie, which is to say, not at all.  But as far as the movie goes, everything that didn't take place on Earth was pretty frakking sweet.  I love Asgard, and all the other god characters, and I really hoped that Thor and that awesome warrior chick would hook up, but alas.  Also, Heimdall was awesome, but I really wouldn't want to have his job.  The vacation days must suck, although on the plus side I guess you get to see other people vacationing?  No, that sucks even more.  But he was still cool.

ANYWAY, back to the point.  I was browsing the internet one day (as one does) and I came across this picture:
And I thought, well, that's a pretty random picture.  Thor as a frog?  Well, it turns out it's a thing!  And I immediately fell in love with Throg, and felt the need to capture him in knit/crochet form immediately.  And here he is!




I was really not feeling up to making a frog pattern, so I just modified this pattern by Spud and Chloe.  I was worried about the eyes not sitting right, but I think it turned out all right.  Most of his accessories are crocheted, except the hammer, which I just made out of felt because I was done with trying to crochet a square.  Round I can do, square eludes me.  Anyway, I think I'm most proud of his hat.  I had to block those little wing thingies to death before they would even be remotely straight, and the one on the left still wants to curl.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with him!  Boyfriend doubted he would turn out, and for a while there he did look kind of silly, but in the end I think he turned out awesomely.  Let me know what you think!

Stay tuned!

Edited to add: New title for post.  It just hit me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love him! He looks like a total badass in the second picture.

FJ Rebolledo said...

my daughter is a HUGE fan of frogs (god knows why...), but not a comic fan at all!!...maybe this is the way to make her join ranks to the comics side of the force....

love it!!!

Catherine Meyers said...

Hi!

My name is Catherine Meyers, I'm the admin of a web blog directory, while reading your blog and checking your crafts, which are sooo cute, love Throg!, I was wondering if you might be interested in a link exchange (no money involved), I would add your blog in my directory so my visitors will also visit your site and in exchange you add my website to your blogroll or links. Please let me know if you are interested and the best of luck with Geek Central Station.

Cheers!

Cathy

Anastasia V said...

I think the throg turned out great but he does need a little muscle, but otherwise I think it looks really good :)
also I like the gods better than the humans too, Norse mythology FTW.