Sunday, March 29, 2009

Geekery Keeps You Warm At Night

This person is seriously dedicated to Super Mario Brothers. Like, I can't even imagine how crazy. Check out this blanket:
You can check out this post on craftster to see more details on the project. Here's a model to show you how big this thing actually is. Keep in mind, this is a 6'2 guy.



Crazy! Now, I like Super Mario Brothers as much as the next guy, but this seems a little ridiculous. It took over a year and a half to complete. I mean, I was trying to make a Portal blanket, and I only got one panel into it before I completely gave it up. Of course, that was knitting and it's pretty hard (for me, anyway) to do colorways on knitting, it's probably a lot easier with crochet. And I do think the crochet on this project looks really nice, and I like how bright a lot of the colors are. I wonder what the back looks like.

If you are interested in gory details you can check out information on the individual panels here. Hope everyone had a nice weekend! Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Amelia said...

Wow! Now this is a good reason to improve my crochet skills.

Also, Portal Blanket? Is there a pattern for this!?

Geek Central Station said...

@Amelia, there wasn't really a pattern for the Portal blanket, I just took the warning signs from the game and used this program (http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/) to turn the pictures into knitting squares. It's a really good application for knitting or cross stitch patterns, you should try it out!

Gege Crochet said...

Ha! Awesome! This is my blanket- I posted it on a couple of craft sites and I'm amazed at the different places it has now shown up. :) Yep- it was definitely the result of a crazy obsession...I'm aware of my problems and promise to seek help... ;) The entire story behind the blanket, including individual shots of all the panels, is on my blog: gegecrochet.blogspot.com.

Thanks!

Geek Central Station said...

@gege: Welcome! I am in awe of your patience and skill. Geeky craft news travel fast around here, mainly because they are kind of rare. Well, maybe not so much anymore. Keep up the good work!