Monday, March 17, 2008

Maniac Monday--R2D2!

Okay, so, I am a little obsessed with R2D2. Scratch that--I am totally obsessed with Artoo. I have no idea why, but I have Artoo collectibles from pez dispensers to cookie jars to cardboard cutouts. I even have the little remote controlled Artoo that responds to your voice. Anyway, I thought I would share some cool R2D2 crafts I have seen on my trek through the intertubes.

1. The R2D2 casemod. Let me tell you, if I knew squat about computers and/or metal welding, I would so make one of these. I want one so bad. For now, I'll have to stick with my tower that has AT-AT's painted on it. (That's still kind of cool, right?)


2. Steampunk R2D2. I am fascinated by steampunk right now--I think it's a really interesting sci-fi trend. This steampunk R2D2 is just too cool. The guy that made this has details about it on his blog, it's very interesting. He made a lot of it from parts that you wouldn't expect, kind of like the original R2.


3. Okay, this one is kind of cheating. My boyfriend painted this Christmas ornament for me. Out of everything I've posted, it's the least technically challenging, but there is not a chance in hell it would look anything like an R2 unit if I tried to paint it, so I am still in awe.

For now, I'll have to stick to crochet and knitting, but I can still stand in awe of those with different craft techniques and say...I WANT!!!

2 comments:

julia said...

that steampunk Artoo is incredible. Did you order the CPU case? lol

Geek Central Station said...

No I didn't order the CPU case, but I did convince myself I could teach myself to weld metal, lol. I'm actually relieved I didn't try.
And I love the steampunk artoo--it was up for sale on eBay, but the guy was in England and charging $200 shipping (not to mention however high the actual artoo unit went for) and so, alas, I had to abandon that one.